Losing a pet is losing a family member. Some of your friends and colleagues may not understand the sadness that you feel surrounding this difficult time. It is important to understand that grief over the loss of your beloved pet is normal. The veterinarians and staff members at St Francis truly understand how you feel during this time and are here to support you. In addition, there are excellent online and community resources available that are staffed with individuals who understand how truly difficult pet loss is.
Our purpose is to help you find comfort during this time. We have provided a directory of local resources, websites, books, and articles to assist you through your journey.
Local Grief Support Resources
Animal Emergency & Referral Center, Oakdale MNThe Animal Emergency & Referral Center (AERC) in Oakdale hosts a pet loss support group on the 4th Tuesday of every month from 7-9 pm. You may contact the AERC directly at (651) 501-3766 to learn more or visit their website at: http://aercmn.com/resources/pet-loss-support/.
Christine Severance, CVT: St. Francis Animal HospitalChristine is a Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) at St. Francis. She has a special interest in hospice and palliative care as well as pet loss and grief counseling. She has completed training through the Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement and became a Certified Pet Bereavement Counselor in January 2015. She can provide you with valuable resources during this difficult time. To learn more, please call us at (651) 645-2808.
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement (www.aplb.org)
- Argus Institute Counseling and Support Services (www.argusinstitute.colostate.edu)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA): (https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/pet-loss.aspx)
- Pet Loss Help (www.petlosshelp.org)
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Pet Loss Support Hotline (607) 253-3932
- ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/pet-loss)
- Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine (http://vet.tufts.edu/petloss/)
Disclaimer : The purpose of the Pet Loss Support Directory is to provide you a listing of resources available. St Francis is not affiliated with any of these organizations other than the AVMA and has no control over the services provided. Every effort was made to ensure that the information herein was accurate at the time of publication. St Francis assumes no responsibility for any changes made by individual businesses.